The fiefdom of Crocefieschi, or rather of Crux (‘cross’), to which Vobbia belonged, was formed from the union of ancient assets of the Abbey of San Colombano with the curtis of Clavarezza and Noceto, of the Abbey of San Precipiano, of the Fieschi di Lavagna. It became a feudal possession of the bishops of Tortona and then, from 1164, property of the Malaspina family. Subsequently, the marquises of Gavi added the valley to their possessions, until 1252, the year in which the territory and the castle passed into the hands of Opizzone della Pietra, lord of the Mongiardino fiefdom. In 1296, a substantial part of the fiefdom passed to Barnaba Spinola; then, at the beginning of the 14th century, he acquired the whole feudal territory.
The ownership of part of the lordship of Mongiardino including Vobbia was left by Tommasina Spinola to her sons Innocenzo and Gerolamo Fieschi (the will is dated 1678), a family which exercised an almost absolute dominion over the entire territory until 1797, the year of the suppression of the imperial fiefdoms. With the advent of Napoleon Bonaparte, this territory returned to the Department of Western Ligurian Mountains, with Rivarolo as its capital, within the Ligurian Republic. From 1803, it was the main centre of the VIII canton of the upper Scrivia valley in the jurisdiction of Lemmo (Novi). It was then inserted, in 1814, into the Department of Genoa.






What to see in Vobbia
The Pietra castle (or d’a Prïa castle in Genoese) is the main and most characteristic monument of the Genoese hinterland; a cultural and landscape attraction of the Antola Park, it is included in the list of national monuments. Located in a picturesque elevated position, between two spurs of rocky conglomerate which constitute its natural bastions, it dominates the road that runs alongside the Vobbia stream going up its course from Isola del Cantone. The castle can only be reached on foot via a path through the woods and a staircase, after a twenty-minute suggestive walk, starting from the provincial road. It is also possible to reach it by following a longer route that starts from the Torre di Vobbia hamlet, called “Sentiero dei Castellani”. The visits are managed by the Antola Park staff, who accompany visitors through the rooms of the castle, from the hall to the patrol walk.
Its name derives from the Della Pietra family who owned it until 1518. There is no certain date of its foundation, but it is assumed that it dates back to 1100. An impregnable stronghold, in the era of imperial fiefdoms, it dominated the valleys raising up to Mount Antola, and over the years it passed into the hands of various lords, until the Treaty of Campoformio (1797) which sanctioned the end of the feudal era.
The visit to the castle is a prelude to getting to know the Vobbia valley, where the Repasso wildlife oasis is located, hamlets surrounded by greenery, such as that of Noceto, and unforgettable corners, such as the Chapel of San Fermo.
The church has been the parish church of Vobbia since 1697. The current building was built between 1733 and 1735 on the previous church, perhaps originally built in1641. The gabled façade is adorned with trompe l’œil architecture. Inside there is an important wooden statue depicting Our Lady of Graces, attributed to the Genoese sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano.
The church is located in the hamlet of Noceto and founded long ago in 972, became a parish in 1302. In 1697 it was united with the Parish of Nostra Signora delle Grazie di Vobbia, however Countess Barbara Cattaneo, a very influential figure at the time, managed to restore the parish in 1728. A fire in 1870 damaged the church and the bell tower. The church was rebuilt in the 19th century, then later restored in 1930 and 1980. It is a corner of ancient history, a place of silent prayer, surrounded by greenery, which brings with it the memory of those who fought to preserve it.









